Marissa Hermer, Mum, friend, business woman, Lady of London and cooking extraordinaire.
You may recognise Marissa as the star of ITV’s Ladies of London, however, Marissa grew up in Southern California and recounts picking avocado’s from her grandmother’s trees at the weekend.
Moving to England with her now husband, Matt in 2008 – Marissa soon found out that her classic beachside BBQ was to be replaced with a classic Sunday roast. However, Marissa didn’t want to lose touch with her American side, so here I present “An American Girl in London” “120 Nourishing Recipes for Your Family from a Californian Expat”.
Put television aside, Marissa owns London’s Bumpkin restaurants and let me tell you – they are fantastic.
Finding inspiration from both her American upbringing and British cuisine, with recipes that are to die for on both sides of the Atlantic – pretty hard to crack, but she’s done it! With recipes for Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie and Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberries, you will instantly fall in love with the book and recipes, just like I have.
My favourite recipe in the book is the Buckwheat Pancakes. If you follow me on social media, you will know I am a huge fan of pancakes and could practically eat them all day, everyday. Here’s the recipe for my now favourite pancakes. Now, these are perfect for those who are trying to cutback on processed flours or for those who have an intolerance to gluten, not only that, they’re dairy free too! In my opinion, they’re an all round winner.
To make 8-10 pancakes, you will need:
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk yoghurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 of berries
- Honey or maple syrup to serve
Sounds delicious, right? Now, how to make them:
- In a large bowl, add the buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk the honey, cinnamon, almond milk, yoghurt, egg and vanilla. Then gradually add in the dry ingredients & whisk until you have a slightly lumpy batter.
- Heat a large frying pan, using a medium heat – adding a knob of coconut oil to coat the pan.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of batter into the pan and cook for around 2-3 minutes (or until bubbles begin to form on the surface).
- Sprinkle on a few berries & flip to cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Serve with warm honey or maple syrup & you will have the best pancakes you have tasted.
Want to get your hands on more delicious and exclusive recipes? Of course you do! If you’re a UK resident, you can get An American Girl in London here on Amazon. Or you can order via Marissa’s own website, here.
Follow Marissa on Twitter: